Shetland - Ages 6 and under
Who should play:
- Shetland welcomes ALL 4-6 year old players for a fun-focused, non-competitive first experience with baseball and team sports.
- To be eligible your player must have a birthday between 9/1/2014-8/31/2016. They should be 5 or 6 years old as of 8/31/2021.
- These ages include both preschool and Kindergarten players.
What we're up to:
- The Shetland Division is a purely instructional, noncompetitive division - it's not about runs and outs; it's about fun and learning the basics.
- In games every player gets an at-bat each inning and will rotate positions.
- Games use a combination of coach pitching and T-Ball
- Games and practices use reduced impact baseballs (meaning, they're a bot softer) to increase player confidence and lessen the chance of injury.
- No previous experience expected, but it is welcome.
- No scoring or stats are kept.
When we play:
- Registration: Starts on October 11th, 2020. Register here.
- Season: Starts March 2021 with our fun Opening Day ceremony and games wrapping up the end of the school year (schedules will be updated as developed with current COVID-19 restrictions in mind).
Where we play:
- COVID-19 Season Structure (As Planned for 2021)
- Practice 1: One 90 minute late-afternoon/early-evening weekday practice per week at Havens Playfield
- Practice 2: One 90 minute practice at Beach Playfield on Saturday afternoons consisting of a 20-30 minute pre-game warm-up and approximately 60 minutes of same team scrimmaging. Typically at 1 or 3pm.
- Typical Season (for Example):
- Practice: One 90 minute late-afternoon/early-evening weekday practice per week at Havens Playfield
- Games: One 3 to 4 inning game at Beach Playfield on Saturday afternoons consisting of a 20-30 minute pre-game warm-up and approximately 90 minutes of game time. Games are usually at ~1:00 or 3:00 p.m. on Saturday.
How you can help:
- We need coaches and assistant coaches for the 2021 season!
- Make sure your player arrives on time for practice and games with all necessary equipment and plenty of water.
- Spread the word - our goal is to have 80 - 100 players in the 2021 league.
Why we play:
- Our major focus in on inclusion and fun!
- Out goal is to introduce your player to the basics of baseball - the rules and core skills, including proper batting stance, fielding and throwing mechanics, and base-running.
- Our Shetland teams are a great way to build friendships with other parents and players across the district.